Title: National Expert
Location: Tirana, Elbasan, Pogradec
Start of assignment: 09 March 2018
End of assignment: 09 November 2018
Duration of assignment: 22 working days
Violent extremism and religious radicalization has become a real threat during the last years in Albania. These phenomena are hidden behind interpretations of mainstream religious or political doctrines, and tend to justify, promote, incite or support violence to achieve any number of social, religious or political changes. They represent a threat to the national security, rightfulness of life, physical integrity and other human rights. The war against the phenomena of religious radicalism and violent extremism is the responsibility and duty of each country that is leaded in accordance to the democratic principles. It is important for the government and civil society to implement a set of policies and measures to prevent and stop these phenomena. In this framework, the European Centre in collaboration with Terre des hommes, is implementing the project “Assistance on facing violent extremism and religious radicalization at a domestic level”, with the financial contribute of the European Union. The aim of the project is to raise awareness of the citizens above 18 years in Tirana, Elbasan and Pogradec, in order to increase knowledge about the consequences of violent extremism and religious radicalism, and to highly promote their participation in exposing and preventing these phenomena.
The European Centre is looking for two national experts who are willing to engage with the project.
Duties and responsibilities
For delivering the activities foreseen in the project proposal, the European Centre will require the services of 2 national experts, who will be responsible of preparing a survey and publishing a report, deliver 3 Training of Trainers, 3 local forums and 1 final conference.
More specifically, the experts will have to:
- Prepare a survey which will measure and quantify the level of radicalization among the population, and identify some of the reasons who push people towards this phenomena;
- Elaborate and analyze the findings gathered from the survey, in a final report which will be published;
- Prepare and design a tailored leaflet, which will contain information on violent extremism and religious radicalization, the risks behind these phenomena and the ways to identify and prevent them;
- Deliver 2 days training sessions, one per each city, in order to train the people who will be in charge of delivering raising awareness sessions;
- Deliver 3 Open Forums, one per each city, with the focus on ameliorating the knowledge of people who will in the project area, about the consequences of these phenomena.
- Deliver one Final Conference, which aims to present in front of a large public, all the results and findings of the previous activities of the project.
- University degree in law/security studies
- Previous experience in preparing surveys or questionnaires is an asset
- Very good writing and communicative skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Sufficient knowledge on violent extremism and religious radicalization in Albania
- Very good reporting skills.
Evaluation of applicants
The evaluation of the applicants will be based on a cumulative analysis, taking into consideration the combination of the applicants` qualification and financial proposal.
The award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
a) Responsive/compliant/acceptable; and
b) Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical criterias specific to the solicitation.
Only the highest ranked candidates who would be found qualified for the job will be considered for the financial evaluation.
Technical criteria – 100% of total evaluation – max points 100
Criteria A: expertise in law, freedom of religion, security studies– max points 35
Criteria B: Educational background – max points 35
Criteria C: Financial offer – max points 30
The call for experts will be published on the European Centre’s official website. All interested applicants shall send their CV and professional bio in hard copy or email, until February 23, 2018. The chosen applicants will be notified by email.
Email address for electronic delivery : firstname.lastname@example.org
Postal address: European Centre; 1001 Tiranë
Str. “Vaso Pasha”, P. 20/57, Tirana Albania