PROJECT: Contributing in the Amelioration of Human Rights Standards in and out the Penitentiary System in Albania
TERMS OF REFERENCE
POSITIONS: Two National Legal Experts
- Description of the project
The project “Contributing in the amelioration of human rights standards in and out the penitentiary system in Albania” has started in February 2020, aiming at promoting a functional system of protection and prevention for persons deprived of their liberties and upon release, in full compliance with European standards and recognized international principles.
The program’s main outcomes are (O.1). Rehabilitative approach to prison and probation management (education/ legal/ psycho-social and vocational support) fostered and rehabilitation and prevention prospects of prisoners improved; (O.2). An interactive platform to support CSO active in the field of human rights education and litigation; (O.3). All-of-government approach and engagement of civil society organizations in prison and probation settings enhanced, in particular in the field of fostering the crime prevention approach (including social reintegration of prisoners upon release).
During the upcoming months of project implementation, European Centre Foundation and its Lead partner organization TLAS will dedicate tailored interventions that orient legal education, strategic litigation, and vocational education to inmates; promote standards of adequate psycho-social counseling for prisoners and prison staff; engage professional active civil society actors to consolidate and prioritize treatment and services in places of deprivation of liberties (through the sub-granting process), having a consolidated partnership and support by the Albanian Ministry of Justice through General Directorate of Prisons and Probation Service).
The ECF and TLAS are looking for two national experts with relevant experience in the field of justice, especially on basic rights of persons deprived of their liberties, who will be responsible for the development of the Trainings Modules (methodology) on promoting good practices, built upon European human rights standards for CSOs. In addition, the experts will be responsible for delivering 6 training for CSOs who work with detainees, citizens in probation services, and their families.
The experts will design and deliver tailored workshops curricula as well.
- Duties and responsibilities
For the prisons staff’s workshops, ECF and TLAS will require the services of two national experts who will be responsible to deliver training on European Human rights standards for CSOs which work with detainees, citizens in probation services, and their families. The experts will design and deliver tailored workshop curricula as well.
The various topics for the training modules will be related to European human rights standards, coordination of common practices for the rehabilitation of convicts; rehabilitation and reintegration as concepts that need to be improved and strengthened for certain categories of convicts such as women, juveniles, and convicts with special needs for these CSOs.
More specifically, the expert will have to:
- Deliver of a cascade of 6 training;
- Raise the capacity building and support to civil society CSOs and increase public institution awareness and responsibility in the rehabilitation of detainees including those in probation services.
- Expected Outputs/Deliverables
- Prepare workshops methodology;
- Deliver 6 training;
- Training materials for CSOs on European human rights standards for detainees, citizens in probation services, and their families;
- Necessary Qualifications
- University degree in law;
- At least 10 years of professional experience: work experience in public or human rights law/EU law or penitentiary system;
- Academic and teaching experience;
- Previous experience with ECF and TLAS as a legal expert would be an asset;
- Very good writing skills;
- Very good communication skills;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision;
- Excellent knowledge of Albanian and international standards;
- Excellent knowledge of Albanian and English;
- Very good reporting skills.
The delivery of training will take place in 6 cities Tirana (Kavaja), Korça, Vlora, Shkodra, Elbasan, and Lezha.
- Application process
Applications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org latest by July 14, 2021.
The candidates are required to submit a CV with description of relevant work experience and qualifications, and a financial offer for 6 (six) working days indicating the daily rate.
The Program Management will contact only shortlisted experts.
The payment will be made in one instalment upon the satisfactory completion of all deliverables.
ECF is committed to maintaining an environment of mutual respect, where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants.